The 10 Habits of Great Readers
Do you know any great readers? You probably do. You have probably seen them walking around with tethered, worn book marks hanging from their books. They clutch their books like prized, priceless possessions. Books become tickets for taking magical journeys to unforgettable places that unfold on every page.
If you know of a young reader looking to become a great reader, here’s some advise.
10 HABITS of GREAT READERS
1. Have purpose in reading.
2. Think about what you already know as you read.
3. Make sure you understand what you read. If not, write down your questions and share them with an adult or fellow reader.
4. Look at pictures when possible. Pictures have meaning.
5. Predict what will happen next.
6. Form pictures in your mind.
7. Draw conclusions about what your read.
8. Try to figure out new words. Write down unfamiliar words and look them up in a dictionary.
9. Read aloud and/or read to a friend, sibling, teacher or parent.
10. PRACTICE READING DAILY.